The 3rd Annual Andrew Claymon Memorial Fishing Tournament was held on Saturday, June 8, 2013 at Merritt Reservoir with 27 teams participating in an adult/child team format. Results, based on total heaviest catch from the allowed species of walleye, northern pike, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, white bass, perch, bluegill, and crappie, are as follows:
Ages 10 and under division:
1st place: Ryan and Jason Erickson, North Platte, NE; total catch of 29.59 lbs.
2nd place: Ariel and Ross Bryant, Thedford, NE; total catch of 10.55 lbs.
3rd place: Jacob and Dave Ishii, Fort Calhoun, NE; total catch of 8.80 lbs.
Ages 11 to 17 division:
1st place: Beau Edwards, Alliance, NE and Dave Henke, Wahoo, NE; total catch of 34.64 lbs.
2nd place: Grant and Ben Pavelka, North Platte, NE; total catch of 32.79 lbs.
3rd place: Holden and John Hupfer, North Platte, NE; total catch of 26.96 lbs.
The top 3 in each age division were awarded Cabela’s gift cards, cash, trophies, and fishing and camping merchandise.
In addition, all participants who did not place in the top 3 in their age division received a fishing or camping prize and a fishing medal.
Trophies were also awarded for overall heaviest fish and heaviest fish for 4 different species with the following results:
Overall heaviest fish: Beau Edwards, Alliance, NE; northern pike weighing 9.65 lbs.
Walleye: Nicci Drey, Omaha, NE; 3.5 lbs.
Northern Pike: Beau Edwards, Alliance, NE; 9.65 lbs.
Largemouth Bass: Grant Pavelka, North Platte, NE; 3.52 lbs.
Smallmouth Bass: Tie between Alex Bellinger, Kearney, NE and Beau Edwards, Alliance, NE; 1.95 lbs.
Drawings were held from all youth participants for the following donated items:
- Package 1 night cabin at Merritt and 1 day guided fishing with Merritt fishing guide John Nadolski – donated by Andrew’s grandparents, Jim & Sherry Davenport
- Fishing with 2 members of the University of Nebraska Husker Bass Anglers fishing team – provided by Wil McCabe and Blaise Weaver of Husker Bass Anglers
- Book a medium cabin for 1 night; get 1 night free at Merritt Trading Post Resort and gift certificate for $35 of merchandise – donated by John and Regina Bauer and family
- Youth half-price lifetime permit – hunt/fish combo – provided by the Nebraska Game & Parks Foundation
- Three separate drawings from the Nebraska Walleye Association for a 2013 “free family membership” – donated by the Nebraska Walleye Association
- Two separate drawings for a $25.00 gift certificate to the Merritt Trading Post and Bait Shop – donated by the Claymon family.